We run a very busy kitchen on a daily basis, in order to produce the thousands of meals needed to feed the vulnerable people we support.
All of our meals are vegan, made from surplus vegetables donated to save food waste. All the meals are prepared according to Ayurvedic principles, making them palatable and digestible for all tastes and tummies.
We always gratefully welcome extra hands to help us in the kitchen and pride ourselves on making it a safe, friendly and fun environment for everyone.
When and Where:
Plumtree Court, Holborn EC4A 4AU
Shift times are as follows:
- 8am-12pm Monday-Saturday
- 1pm-5pm Monday-Thursday Only
What you’ll be doing:
- Food Prep: peeling & chopping vegetables
- Portioning & packing: boxing meals into individual portion containers
- Labelling: adding labels with ingredients & allergens to all container lids
- Cleaning: making sure our kitchen is a clean and safe space for everyone
- Loading: helping to load up our vans with crates of meals and other goodies, to deliver to the organisations we support
What we ask from you as a kitchen volunteer:
- View the induction training video below, before first shift
- Wear PPE at all times in the kitchen – all necessary PPE is provided, but feel free to bring your own mask
- Observe social distancing in the kitchen as much as physically possible
- Wash your hands regularly
- Observe health, safety and hygiene precautions at all times
- Follow the instructions and guidance of the Kitchen Manager
- Ask questions and for help whenever you’re unsure what to do
How to get involved:
All kitchen shifts are posted on SpareHand, which will allow us to carefully manage the number of volunteers coming to the kitchen for each shift. This will allow us to prevent overcrowding ever occurring in the kitchen and therefore keep all volunteers and kitchen staff as safe as possible.
To get involved, please complete our Volunteer Form so we can send you updates by email. Please also sign up to SpareHand, so you can start viewing and selecting the kitchen shifts you wish to help us with each week.
And please also join our Telegram Group, where we post updates via messenger and share lots of lovely pictures of the amazing work our volunteers are doing 🙂
Additional things to note:
If you wish to volunteer with us in the kitchen, it is extremely important to take the greatest care of your own safety and the safety of others. Please only sign up to volunteer if you are healthy, have no underlying health conditions and are willing to adhere to all necessary health & safety measures at all times.
Please read the government guidance for food charities to get a better understanding of the measures we are doing our best to put in place to protect all of our volunteers and team. Personal Protection Equipment will be provided to all volunteers working in our kitchen and social distancing will be practiced as much as is physically possible.
For more information on volunteering in our kitchen, please check out our Volunteer Guide.
Essential Viewing: Kitchen Volunteer Intro Video